Skip to main content

Cambridge Manual Training School/ Rindge Manual Training School/ Rindge Technical School Collection

 Collection
Identifier: CHC020
Collections of items associated with the Frederick Hastings Rindge collection, 1852-2001. These items are related to the Cambridge Manual Training School, later renamed the Rindge Manual Training School in 1899. This collection has been assembled from multiple sources, but the bulk of the materials were gifted by Stephen G. Surette. Formats include photographs, documents, correspondence, and objects.

Collection Arrangement Materials arranged by subject

Dates

  • c. 1880s-1940s

Creator

Language of Materials

Material in English.

Access Restrictions

Collection is available for research under the CHC rules of use.

Copyright Notice

Items in this collection were created prior to 1923 and therefore exist in the public domain

Extent

2 flat boxes, 2 object boxes (3.79)

Overview

Historical Note: The Cambridge Manual Training School for Boys was founded by Frederick Hastings Rindge in September 1888. Between 1888 and 1890, Rindge funded the construction of Cambridge City Hall, the Cambridge Public Library, and the Cambridge Manual Training School. In 1892, the Cambridge English High School moved into a spacious new building on Broadway, developing land that Rindge had presented to Cambridge. The EHS's old building at Broadway and Fayette was remodeled, and the Cambridge Latin School (later the Cambridge High and Latin School) moved in. The Cambridge School Committee renamed the school Rindge Manual Training School in 1899 in honor of Mr. Rindge after he retired. Considering its broadened offerings in technical education, the school was later renamed Rindge Technical School. In 1977, the Rindge Technical School merged with the Cambridge High and Latin School to form the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School (CRLS). This school is managed under the Cambridge Public School District.

Collection Description: Collections of items associated with the Frederick Hastings Rindge collection, 1852-2001. These items are related to the Cambridge Manual Training School, later renamed the Rindge Manual Training School in 1899. This collection has been assembled from multiple sources, but the bulk of the materials were gifted by Stephen G. Surette. Formats include photographs, documents, correspondence, and objects. Dates: ca. 1880s-1940s

Biographical Note

Born to a wealthy textile merchant family in Cambridge, Massachusetts on December 21, 1857, Frederick Hastings Ridge grew up to become a successful businessman. Rindge was privately tutored before continuing his education at Harvard. The passing of his parents in the late 1880s left him with an inherited estate of approximately 2 million dollars. Rindge’s business interests in New England comprised a number of textile mills and manufacturing companies and he owned a large number of real estate properties, mostly inherited from his father. Many of our records represent the family business as well as Rindge’s philanthropic efforts.

In 1888 Rindge relocated to California, where he purchased large tracts in Los Angeles and a 17,000-acre Spanish land grant north of Santa Monica that is now occupied by the town of Malibu. Between 1888 and 1890, Rindge’s old schoolmate, William E. Russell, then Mayor of Cambridge, urged him to fund the construction of a number of projects in Cambridge, including the Cambridge Manual Training School (later renamed the Rindge Manual Training School and now the Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School). Rindge hired the architects, superintended the construction, hired the faculty, reviewed applications from students, and supported the school for five years before turning it over to the city. Because Rindge was living in California, all these matters were the subject of extensive correspondence with his agents in Boston.

Collection Arrangement

Materials arranged by subject

Physical Location

This collection belongs to and is located at the Cambridge Historical Commission. The Cambridge Historical Commission has uploaded a select number of finding aids to the Cambridge Room's ArchivesSpace page. Please contact the CHC staff at (617) 349-4683 to make an appointment to view this collection.

Acquisition Information

Gift of Stephen G. Surette, March 1981 and October 2004, and unknown provenance. See individual boxes below for further information.

Related Material

Frederick Hastings Rindge collection, 1851-2001, bulk 1883-1905

Processing Information

Processed by Staff, 2004

Encoded by: Meta Partenheimer, 2017
Title
Inventory of the Cambridge Manual Training School/ Rindge Manual Training School/ Rindge Technical School Collection
Author
Processing and machine-readable finding aid by: Meta Partenheimer
Date
© 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge Historical Commission Repository

Contact:
831 Massachusetts Avenue
2nd Floor
Cambridge Massachusetts 02139 US